March 15, 2021

The First Rule of Book Club

Our first book club meeting, March 2019. Photo by Darcie Morris
Just over two years ago, a few of my neighbors mentioned that they'd be interested in starting a book club and asked me to join. As I was just starting my new career as a librarian, I was excited at the prospect and agreed to join in. After a lot of group texts to decide our first read, we set a date to meet up and discuss Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard. We've met every month since, with a few exceptions due to holidays or the ongoing pandemic of a certain infectious respiratory virus. 

I've heard tales of book clubs that, despite their best intentions, degrade into (or sometimes even begin as) a designated hour for small talk, socializing, and snacks. In this context, you can imagine my surprise and glee when our first meeting -- and in fact, all subsequent meetings to date -- actually focused on intelligent and thought-provoking discussion of the assigned book. We try to cover a broad range of books, including titles like Pride and Prejudice, The Martian, They Called Us Enemy, A Gentleman in Moscow, and The Light between Oceans. And yes, snacks usually make an appearance. 

Our most recent meeting was a few weeks ago on Friday, February 26, where we discussed The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. As we met in the home of one of our group members, it was stimulating to contemplate the open-ended questions prepared by the discussion leader, diving into the implications and ethics of the characters' actions and dissecting our perceptions of the author's intent. Group members were given ample time to consider and respond meaningfully to the questions posed, and everyone had an opportunity to share their insights. No one stole the show, and no one felt strong-armed into speaking against their will. I learned a lot from my fellow book-clubbers, and I engaged with the text in new ways I hadn't considered before.

Truth be told, this book club is what high school English class should have been: rather than stress-inducing timed essays and cramming SparkNotes the night before a quiz, we have created a place where all are welcome to share their ideas and learn from one another. (Maybe it only works now that we're all out of our teens.)

As the conversation continued, I was able to identify key aspects of the work, like its nonlinear storyline, atmospheric tone, and lush writing style. Interestingly, while these elements were integral to the pleasant experience of some of our group's members, others felt that they had to struggle to enjoy the work despite them.

This experience has helped me realize that our tastes as readers vary: what some relish, others despise. Further exposure to a wide gamut of literature will help me develop my skills as a readers' advisor. There is no one "best book" to recommend because each reader has a different definition of what a "good book" entails. A good readers' advisor will identify more elements than just genre to gauge a reader's interests.

Also, that night we realized that only one of us has ever been to a circus in real-life. My bucket list grew by one. Big top, here I come.