by David Archuleta
Gallery, 2026. 288 pages. Memoir
A gripping memoir of faith, family, identity, and stardom, in Devout pop star David Archuleta shares his story of leaving the Mormon church, navigating the relationship with his emotionally abusive father, coming to terms with his sexuality, and finding strength in being your authentic self.
Wow. This book had a lot.
I can't quite put into words just how validating it was to read someone else's life experience and see myself reflected in it so clearly. It is remarkable in how it sheds light on what I and doubtless many other queer Mormons have gone through: shame, neglect, abuse, gaslighting, self-flagellation. I was already in a good spot with my spiritual health and my walk with God when I read this work. Yet Archuleta provides a hope and optimism for many who may be struggling.
If you are religious and not queer, I would hope that this work helps you realize that queer people are not inherently immoral, and that we don't distance ourselves from religion for the attention or out of a lack of self-control. Please continue to grow in the lifelong pursuit of compassion and empathy.
If you are queer and in a religious environment, I would echo Archuleta's message that there is love and light for you, whether that's in or out of a church. I would append that no one else gets to weigh in on your relationship with the Divine, and religion can be a helpful tool for healing through the reclamation of what has been used to hurt you. You can be both queer and religious, if you so choose: I'm living proof. But there is no shame in deciding to life an honorable, non-religious life. Truly no shame.
For more like this, consider I'm Glad My Mom Died by Jennette McCurdy.
